Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The call

I got a call from my radiologist oncologist saying that after looking more closely at my PET scan results they did find a small area on my abdomen that is still "diseased". So, I had to go in for another marking session. They redid the marks on my chest and sides and added a few on my tummy.

When the phone rang this past weekend telling me I had to do radiation on my tummy I was very upset. The nurse kept apologizing and really couldn't answer any of the questions I had. My Dr. eventually got on the phone and explained that it is hardly noticeable but it does need to be treated.

Luckily, my sisters are on Spring break so they watched Logan and Mason while Keoki and I went to my appointment. It was good to be with Keoki. It's been a long time since we had a chance to be together. We've been working so much lately that I miss him. Anyway, again I started to feel sad sitting in the waiting room and when they called me I jumped up and walked with the radiologist through the swinging doors. Keoki yelled after us and asked if he could come along but the radiologist explained that he would have to wait outside because no one is allowed in the room when the machines are on. I felt like a child walking with their doctor and their parents telling them it's going to be ok when they know its not. It wasn't that bad actually. I got to talk to the radiologist and they were asking me what my doctor said and explained to me that I'll be using the tomography radiation machine. It's a new type of radiation machine that allows the radiologist to view your scans daily to make necessary adjustments. I guess that eased my mind a little. Keoki worked on a commercial last November for that very same machine. It's weird now I'm going to be using it.

So, I'll go in for my first treatment on Monday. I'll get tattooed and then do my first treatment. In the commercial Keoki worked on for the Queen's Cancer Center's Tomography machine the lady looks calm and relaxed like she was in a spa. I don't think that's the case here but we'll see how it goes.

No comments: