Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cancer makes you STUCK UP!!!


The reason why it’s been a while for me to update my blog is because week 4 of chemo slowed me down…literally. When you think of someone with cancer and going through chemo you instantly think of hair loss and nausea. I had no clue constipation was a major side effect. I had my chemo on Thursday and by Friday I was already having major stomach pains from all the gas not being able to go anywhere. (I know TMI but it’s better when you hear the whole truth so I feel like you were there with me…lol) I couldn’t take it anymore and tried everything Long’s Drugs had to offer. I went to the ER and they sent me home with a prescription. They had no clue how much pain I was in. The next day I had to go to my doctor’s office for another shot to boost my white cells. I told my doctor, well cried to my doctor about how much pain I was in and they eventually admitted me to the hospital. Queen’s Medical Center was booked so we ended up at HMC formerly known as St. Francis East. Again, we had to start from the lowest dose of laxative and work our way up. I didn’t end up going until almost 24hrs later. I was in so much pain that I was given a narcotic painkiller every two hours. It felt like I was having contractions. The scary thing about the painkillers was I felt like a junkie. I was in so much pain that I was waiting for the two-hour mark to call my nurse in administer the narcotic through my IV. I would lie there and wait for the feeling of numbness start from the top of my head and work slowly down the rest of my body until it hit my abdomen and I was in heaven. Every time I got the painkiller it’s effect was shorter and shorter. After realizing how much I depended on it I tried to hold off. I would still get the shot but it would be only after I tried walking or if I knew it was too painful to even get out of bed. I was discharged on Tues, 1/8. I felt way better but still had some stomach pain. My mom took me home and it was the hardest day. I had to deal with all the pain without medication. Usually Keoki is there and he can just look at me and talk me through it but he was at work. Both my mom and sister Nicole took turns rubbing my back. It really did help calm me. Now, I have a super sugary liquid that I take anytime I feel it backing up. Let’s just hope I take it in time.

No comments: