Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Mask


Ever since being discharged from the hospital I’ve been told to wear my mask (You know the ones you saw every person in China wearing when the bird flu was first discovered). I just shook my head and knew deep down inside I couldn’t really go out in public and wear that on my face. Keoki of course makes sure I do EVERYTHING the doctors and nurses say so I would get yelled at for not having my mask on even in the house. I hated it. Any chance I would get I would take it off and every time I did Keoki snapped for me to put it back on.

My attitude toward the mask changed this past on Monday, 12/24 when I went in for my weekly blood test to make sure my body was up to receive chemo on Thursdays. My white blood count was 0.5 with the normal being a 5. I could feel it. I couldn’t initially walk from the car to the doctor’s office. I had to rest in the car for 15 minutes. While waiting in the exam room I had to lie down. Right when my Dr. walked in he was concerned about my blood work and the fact that I just looked down and out. He immediately put me on two antibiotics and a shot that I would need to get everyday even on Christmas to boost my white cell count. He stressed the fact that I should be taking my temperature constantly, washing my hands, and wearing my mask. He told me if my temperature hit over 100 degrees that I should go straight to the ER. The common cold could land me in the hospital for days with a white blood count like that. I really felt the seriousness of the situation and didn’t care about weird looks or stares. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t see the ER again and that I could be home with my boys. Now, I go out and wear my mask everywhere. Keoki doesn’t need to tell me twice. I actually want all those curious people to ask my “why”. It’ll give me a chance to let them know so they don’t feel so freaked out. It might also give me a chance to share my story and maybe make a new friend.

No comments: